Hortonworks Hadoop Hive connection on tableau showing install driver and connect

Hi @sgiri,

I’m unable to connect to the hortonworks hadoop server on tableau. These are the steps I followed :

1. Installed tableau

2. Installed Cloudera ODBC Driver for Apache Hive from https://www.cloudera.com/downloads/connectors/hive/odbc/2-6-4.html

3. Followed the Driver installation guide and entered the c.cloudxlab server along with username and password. the connection test was successfull.

4. Run the tableau app and selected Hortonworks Hadoop Hive; entered the server details:

The connection cannot be submitted as the SIGN IN button is disabled. And below it says “Download and install the drivers” and then connect.

Please help! I don’t know what is been missed in the procedure. Also, in the video “connect to Apache Hive using tableau” it showed the Server type : Hive Server 2 , but I don’t have the type option visible here.

I found the solution to it. I have to connect to Cloudera Hadoop instead of Hortonworks Hadoop Hive. It works this way!

Hope it helps others!

4 Likes

Thank you Salman for sharing the solution with everyone. It would definitely help others too.

Mr Sandeep, neither “Hortonworks Hadoop Hive” nor “Cloudera Hadoop” is working…!

Hi, BV_Raju.
Please follow the steps below it should work fine.
Downloads:-

1. https://www.tableau.com/pro
  2. https://www.cloudera.com/do
    a) Go down find database driver
    b) Select Hive ODBC Driver Downloads
    c) Select Hive ODBC 2.6.1 (It is a stable version). Select
    d) Select OS and version 64 bit.

Workflow for connecting Tablue to CloudexLab Local user via ODBC Driver.

1. Open tableau ( Now they are giving 14 days trial).
  2. Go to > To a Server > Hortonworks Hadoop Hive.
  3. Enter c.cloudxlab.com as Server and port as 10000
  4. Select “Username and Password” as Authentication.
  5. Enter your lab username and password.
  6. Select “SASL” as Transport.
    Click on “Sign in” and wait for the connection to establish.

Note :- we can downloads the ODBC Driver from Tableau also.
a) At the left down corner. It will show “Downlaods and Install the drivers” if your driver is not insatlled.
b) If you click It will take you the page :- Tablaue supported Drivers page.
This will show all the Drivers that Tablue supports.
Again it will take to the site :- cloudera downloads page

Please feel free to reply this thread if any problem.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it neither worked for me with Salman’s approach, nor did it work with Satyajit’s approach

Satyajit’s approach
tableau%20hortonworks%20hadoop%20error%20-%202

In spite of following aforementioned steps, signin button is not getting enabled

Kindly help to get this issue resolved ASAP since my Tableau’s license will get expired in next 5 days

1 Like

Hi,
Download the ODBC Hortonworks Drivers first and then try to connect from Tablue.
At the bottom also it is given “Download and install the Drivers”.

All the best!

Thanks Satya, for your prompt response.

I already downloaded ’ Hive ODBC Connector 2.6.4 for Cloudera Enterprise’ from here

PFB image for the same from my installed programs

Hello Satyajit,

The same issue with me as well, yesterday, I have managed to logon to Tableau via Cloudera Hadoop (HiveServer2) and able to work on the data source as part of Hive ( Connect to Apache Hive using Tableau) topic 17.

Last two days, I tried launching Tableau and making connection via Cloudera Hadoop (HiverServe2) its throwing an error, please find the error message below.

Could you please check Domain: c.cloudxlab.com (Private IP: 10.142.1.2 ) up and running today as of 24-Feb-2020.

Could you please help me on this issue?

An error occurred while communicating with Cloudera Hadoop.

Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.
Error Code: 37CE01A3
There was an unknown connection error to the database. The error message below has additional information, but you might need to ask the database administrator to review the database logs.
[Cloudera][DriverSupport] (1110) Unexpected response received from server. Please ensure the server host and port specified for the connection are correct and confirm if SSL should be enabled for the connection.
Unable to connect to the Cloudera Hadoop server “c.cloudxlab.com”. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Hi Saripilli,

Were you able to resolve this error? Can you connect to hive server now? Please let me know the steps if you have already resolved this.

Hi Cloudx Team,

Im facing issues when connecting to hive via tableau, i installed cloudera ODBC and im trying to connect via Cloudera hadoop in tableau but facing below error, let me know if anything has to be corrected from my end to resolve this.
" There was an unknown connection error to the database. The error message below has additional information, but you might need to ask the database administrator to review the database logs.

[Cloudera][ThriftExtension] (3) Error occurred while contacting server: ETIMEDOUT. The connection has been configured to use a SASL mechanism for authentication. This error might be due to the server is not using SASL for authentication.

Unable to connect to the Cloudera Hadoop server ‘c.cloudxlab.com’. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database."

Hi Support team, I am also facing the same issue while connecting. Its saying hostname c.cloudxlab.com is unreachable.

Please help. I’m stuck.

Hi,

Could you please attach the screenshot of the left hand side connection window also of Tableau

Kindly resolve this. I am stuck up with my assignment.
I have tried every combination in the forum which includes

a) Reinstalled Tableau and the ODBC driver (Current version and Hive ODBC v2.6.1) several times,
b) Tried reconnecting through Cloudera Hadoop & Hortonworks Hadoop Hive data source
c) Tried connecting using SSL and without SSL

Facing the below issue- Please resolve the error.

Screenshot of credentials-

Capture1

wonderful, was stuck since morning because of selecting hortonworks option, even after contacting cloudx lab, got no solution, just saw this link, read ur solution, VOILA!!! it’s working. Previously I logged in using “other ODBC sources” and it was giving me not a group by key error.

This article was also curated by CloudxLab.

Can you kindly curate what steps you were doing that leads to non-connecting of Tablue and what different version of the drivers you were using that leads to the problems?

As the steps were clear to connect.
It will be helpful for many learners if they are getting the same errors.

If still you face any difficulties. Kindly reply to this thread.

All the best for your course.

Hi tried connecting to both Horton and Cloudera ODBC.
I followed the below steps:

Open tableau ( Now they are giving 14 days trial). Go to > To a Server > Hortonworks Hadoop Hive. Enter c.cloudxlab.com as Server and port as 10000 Select “Username and Password” as Authentication. Enter your lab username and password. Select “SASL” as Transport.
Click on “Sign in” and wait for the connection to establish.

But I am getting the below error while connecting to Horton Works:

An error occurred while communicating with Hortonworks Hadoop Hive
Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.
Error Code: 37CE01A3
There was an unknown connection error to the database. The error message below has additional information, but you might need to ask the database administrator to review the database logs.
[Hortonworks][ThriftExtension] (6) Error occurred while contacting server: SSL_connect: error code: 0. This could be because you are trying to establish a SSL connection to a server that does not have SSL enabled.
Unable to connect to the Hortonworks Hadoop Hive server ‘c.cloudxlab.com’. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Kindly check if the server is up and running.